INGREDIENTS FOR MASALA PASTE
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger or ginger pasta
- 3 tablespoons Garam Masala seasoning (I bought mine from a Persian Market – Tochal Market)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon water
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 can unsweetened Coconut milk
- 1 can tomato paste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PASTE
- In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest and water. Pulse until a smooth paste forms, about 1 minute.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHICKEN
- In a bowl or ziplock bag, combine 2 tablespoons of the curry paste, the chicken and the yogurt. Mix together well. Marinate at for 30 minutes or refrigerate up to overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the rest of the paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes more.
- Top with cilantro
*Follow package instructions for the rice*