I had SO MUCH FUN with this! I got together with my sister and nieces and created all of this delicious sushi.
*All of my fish was purchase from Nijiya Market on Sawtelle Blvd in Los Angeles*
ALL FISH SHOULD BE SUSHI GRADE
- Yellowtail fish
- Ready made chopped tuna
- Sushi Rice
- Rice Vinegar
- Seaweed paper
- Soy paper
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Truffle Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Smelt Egg
- Bamboo Sushi Mat (you can purchase at the Japanese market)
Instructions for Crispy Rice:
- Follow sushi cooking instructions on package
- Once rice is cooked, add 1/2 cup rice vinegar and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Once you’re ready to prepare, wet both hands and shape rice into desired shape.
- Heat 1/2 cup avocado or grapeseed oil to a pan. Make sure that the oil is VERY hot before adding the rice.
- Add rice and cook on each side for about 7-8 minutes (keep checking to make sure it’s reaching desired crispiness).
Instructions for Spicy Mayo:
- Mix together mayonnaise and Sriracha
Instructions for Ponzu Sauce:
- Mix together soy sauce, lemon juice and cut up green onions. Add sesame seeds if desired.
Instructions for Spicy Tuna:
- If you purchase the pre-chopped tuna, all you need to do is add sliced onions, mayo and sriracha (add chopped jalapeno if you like it extra spicy .
Instructions for Yellowtail Sashimi:
- Slice the yellowtail to really thin slices.
- Plate, add soy sauce. Top with jalapeno. I added Microgreens on top for presentation, but it is not necessary.
Instructions for Tuna Sashimi:
- Slice tuna to really thin slices
- Top with Ponzu sauce.
- Add avocado slices on top.
Instructions for Salmon Sashimi:
- Cut salmon very thinly.
- Cover with truffle oil and sesame seeds.
To Make Rolls:
- Lay down bamboo mat
- Cover with saran wrap
- Place one sheet of seaweed or soy paper on top
- Spread a thin layer of rice on top of the seaweed.
- Spread out the rice as much as you can so that it hits both sides of the paper
- Add your veggies and fish in the middle of the rice
- Slowly lift the bottom of the mat up and over the sushi. Press and shape the ingredients into a tube. Roll with pressure so you get a firm roll.
- Roll until just an inch of the seaweed shows at the top. Make it firm by squeezing the mat around the roll until it feels tight. Be careful not to squeeze so hard that the ingredients are smashed or come oozing out the sides.
- Slowly cut pieces (you will need a very very sharp knife for this because the seaweed is hard to cut).
*For the avocado crispy rice, we simply smashed an avocado and added truffle oil.*
Instructions to make a hand roll:
- Cut sheets of seaweed into quarters. Put some rice on the seaweed, then add whatever fish and vegetables you’re using in the middle of the rice. Roll it into a cone shape.